General Knowledge : List of Important Sea Ports in India

Sea Ports in India

General Knowledge : List of Important Sea Ports in India

Hi Aspirants, Welcome to LOUD STUDY !!

In this post, we will go through the list of important sea ports in India. There are 13 major sea ports in India out of which 12 sea ports are owned by government and Ennore port of Chennai is corporate one.

As we know that India being surrounded mostly by water in its southern region, form one of the biggest peninsulas in the world. It spans about 7516.6 kilometers of coastline.

According to the Ministry of Shipping, around 95 per cent of India's trading by volume and 70 per cent by value is done through maritime transport. It is serviced by 12 major ports,187 notified minor and intermediate ports.

The total 200 non-major ports are in the following States:-
  • Maharashtra (53); 
  • Gujarat (40); 
  • Tamil Nadu (15); 
  • Karnataka (10)

Below is the list of important sea ports in India :

S.No. Sea Port State
1. Visakhapatnam Port Andhra Pradesh
2. Krishnapatnam Port Andhra Pradesh
3. Mormugao Port Goa
4. Kandla Port Gujrat
5. Mangalore Port Karnataka
6. Kochi Port Kerala
7. Jawaharlal Nehru Port Maharashtra
8. Mumbai Port Maharashtra
9. Paradip Port Odisha
10. Chennai Port Tamil Nadu
11. Ennore Port Tamil Nadu
12. Tuticorin Port Tamil Nadu
13. Kolkata Port West Bengal

Visakhapatnam Port  

It is one of 13 major ports in India and the only major port of Andhra Pradesh. It is India's second largest port by volume of cargo handled.

It is located on the east coast of India and is located midway between the Chennai and Kolkata Ports.

Krishnapatnam Port

It is popularly known as KPCL. Krishnapatnam Port is India's largest private sector port on the east coast of India, located in the Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh. It is located about 190 km north of the Chennai Port and 18 km east of the city of Nellore. It was inaugurated on 17 July 2008 by the UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi. 

The port is owned and operated by the Krishnapatnam Port Company Limited ( KPCL ) which is 92% owned by Hyderabad-based CVR Group. The London-based equity firm 3i Group Plc owns the remaining 8% equity in KPCL. The port covers an area of 4,553 acres.

Mormugao Port

It is a port on the western coast of India, in the coastal state of Goa. Commissioned in 1885 on the site of a natural harbour, it is one of India's oldest ports. Mormugao Port is located in the town of Mormugao, Goa, India. 

It has a naturally protected open-type harbour, that lies on the southern part of the mouth of the river Zuari.

Kandla Port

It is also known as the Kandla Port Trust or Deendayal Port is a seaport in Kutch District of Gujarat state in western India, near the city of Gandhidham. The Port of Kandla is located on the Gulf of Kutch on the northwestern coast of India. 

It was constructed in the 1950s as the chief seaport serving western India, after the partition of India and Pakistan left the port of Karachi in Pakistan. It is the largest port of India by volume of cargo handled.

Mangalore Port

It is also known as panambur port or new mangalore port. This port is an all-weather, deep-water port located in Panambur, Mangalore, Karnataka. It is the only major port of Karnataka and is the seventh largest port in India. 

It was formally inaugurated on 4 May 1974 by the then prime minister Indira Gandhi. This port is operated by New Mangaluru Port Trust ( NMPT ).

Kochi Port

It is a port on the Arabian Sea - Laccadive Sea - Indian Ocean sea route in the city of Kochi and is one of the ports in India. 

The port lies on two islands in the Lake of Kochi: Willingdon Island and Vallarpadam, towards the Fort Kochi river mouth opening onto the Laccadive Sea. 

The International Container Transshipment Terminal ( ICTT ), part of the Cochin Port, is the largest container transshipment facility in India. It was established in 1928. The port is governed by the Cochin Port Trust ( CPT ), a government of India establishment.

Jawaharlal Nehru Port

It is also known as Nhava Sheva.  Located east of Mumbai in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, this port on the Arabian Sea is accessed via Thane Creek. 

Its common name derives from the names of Nhava and Sheva villages that were situated here. The port was established on 26 May 1989. It is the biggest container handling port in India 

Mumbai Port

It is a port which lies midway on the West coast of India, on the natural deep-water harbour of Mumbai in Maharashtra. The harbour spread over 400 square kilometres is protected by the mainland of Konkan to its east and north and by the island city of Mumbai to its west. The harbour opens to the south to the Arabian Sea.

The port is administered by the Mumbai Port Trust formerly the Bombay Port Trust, an autonomous corporation wholly owned by the Government of India.Bombay Port Trust ( BPT ) was established as a corporation on 26 June 1873.

Paradip Port

It is a natural, deep-water port on the East coast of India in Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha. It is situated at confluence of the Mahanadi river and the Bay of Bengal. The port is administered by the Paradip Port Trust ( PPT ), an autonomous corporation wholly owned by the Government of India. 

Paradip is one of the Major Ports of India. Late Biju Patnaik, the then Chief Minister of Odisha, is the founder father of Paradip Port. Late Jawaharlal Nehru, the then Prime Minister of India, laid the foundation stone of the Port on 3 January 1962 near the Confluence of the river Mahanadi and the Bay of Bengal. Government of India took over the management of the Port from the Government of Odisha on 1 June 1965.

Chennai Port

It is formerly known as Madras Port. It is the second largest container port of India, behind the Nhava Sheva. The port is the largest one in the Bay of Bengal. It is the third oldest port among the 13 major ports of India with official port operations beginning in 1881, although maritime trade started much earlier in 1639 on the undeveloped shore. 

It is an artificial and all-weather port with wet docks. Once a major travel port, it became a major container port in the post-Independence era. Chennai Port lies on a flat coastal plain known as the Eastern Coastal Plains on the east coast of the Indian peninsula known as the Coromandel Coast in the Bay of Bengal.

Ennore Port

It is officially renamed Kamarajar Port Limited. It is located on the Coromandel Coast about 24 km north of Chennai Port, Chennai, it is the 12th major port of India, and the first port in India which is a public company. 

The Kamarajar Port Limited is the only corporatised major port and is registered as a company. The Centre holds a stake of about 68 per cent in the Kamarajar Port Limited and the remaining 32 per cent is held by the Chennai Port Trust. 

Ennore Port lies on the northeastern corner of the Chennai City of Tamil Nadu State on a flat coastal plain known as the Eastern Coastal Plains. It is located on the east coast of the Indian peninsula known as the Coromandel Coast in the Bay of Bengal and is situated 2.6 km north of the Ennore creek.

Tuticorin Port

V. O. Chidambaranar Port Trust, formerly Tuticorin Port Trust, is one of the 12 major ports in India. It was declared to be a major port on 11 July 1974. It is second-largest port in Tamil Nadu and fourth-largest container terminal in India.

V. O. Chidambaranar Port Trust Thoothukudi is located strategically close to the East-West International sea route on South-Eastern coast of India.Located in Gulf of Mannar,with Sri Lanka on South East and large Indian Landmass on the West,the Port is well sheltered from storms and cyclone winds.

Kolkata Port

The Port of Kolkata is a riverine port in the city of Kolkata, India, located around 203 kilometres from the sea. It is the oldest operating port in India, and was constructed by the British East India Company. 

The Port has two distinct dock systems - Kolkata Docks at Kolkata and a deep water dock at Haldia Dock Complex, Haldia.

Source : Wikipedia

At last, if you have any doubt, please comment in the comment box below. We will try to resolve it as soon as possible.

No comments

We appreciate your comment! You can either ask a question or review our blog. Thanks!!